Alabama Football: 2018 Defensive Line Signees, Commits and Prospects
- source:lotter sports
The latest news on Alabama football 2018 defensive back signees, commits and remaining top prospects, less than two weeks from National Signing Day.
Alabama football has a numbers crunch in the 2018 Signing Class. The class is limited by three carryovers from 2017. Only Nick Saban knows how the final numbers will work. Various recruiting experts predict the Tide will sign between eight and ten additional players for 2018.
Along with cornerbacks, defensive linemen have been a priority for the 2018 class. Let’s review the new defensive line signees, commits and the remaining top prospects.
High school defensive ends Cameron Latu, Eyabi Anonma and Jordan Davis will likely start their Alabama football careers as outside linebackers. They will be highlighted in another post listing all the linebackers.
All player rankings in this post are from the 247Sports Composite.
2018 Defensive Line Signees
- Stephon Wynn – 4-Star, No. 3 rated SDE and the No. 74 Overall player in the nation. Wynn will be able to play at end or in the interior of the Tide’s defensive line. Wynn is already enrolled in Tuscaloosa. He could contribute as a freshman.
- Christian Barmore – 4-Star, No. 16 rated DT in the nation. Barmore was not able to enroll early. He has work left to accomplish in order to qualify academically. Tide coaches believe Barmore can become an impact player.
- Jarez Parks – Parks is a carryover from the 2017 recruiting cycle who accepted a grayshirt. He was a 4-Star, No. 7 rated WDE and the No. 91 Overall player in the nation. Parks is already enrolled in Tuscaloosa.
2018 Defensive Line Commits
- Bobby Brown – 4-Star, No. 17 ranked DT in the nation. Brown has been a high priority for Alabama football since he camped in Tuscaloosa. Along with Wynn, Tide coaches believe Brown could contribute next fall. Brown committed to Texas A&M in October and de-committed in December. He committed to Alabama hours after the Early Signing Period elapsed. He contends his commitment is solid but he is scheduled to visit TAMU again January 26-28.
2018 Defensive Line Top Prospects
- Malik Langham – 4-Star, No. 14 ranked SDE in the nation. Langham does not quite have the size to play more than defensive end. Alabama coaches believe his frame will allow more weight. Perhaps after a freshman season, Langham could rotate at end and also in the defensive line interior. Alabama football is believed to be in a strong position. Other schools, most notably Tennessee, Auburn and Florida are working hard to pull him away from the Tide. Langham is scheduled to visit Auburn January 26-28.
- Tyler Friday – 4-Star, No. 6 ranked DT and the No. 93 Overall player in the nation. Friday committed to Ohio State last week. The Tide has not given up. Tide assistant, Karl Dunbar is scheduled to visit Friday on January 26th.
Alabama wants to close with two more defensive linemen. It is possible room would be made for all three players on Signing Day if Friday were to flip from Ohio State.
The 2018 recruiting cycle ends on the second National Signing Day (NSD2) on February 7th. The Crimson Tide should finish with a Top Three class.